Business Licenses

Businesses located in the Town of Farmville or contractors that are working inside the Town limits must purchase a business license (PDF) from the Town of Farmville Treasurer's Office. Businesses are assessed an annual Business Professional and Occupational License (BPOL) tax. The BPOL tax is based on the business's annual gross receipts. The business license is renewable beginning January 1st of each year and is due by the last day of February. Each license also pays a $10 issuance fee.

New Businesses

All new businesses will need to submit a completed Zoning Form Application (PDF) to the Town Planner prior to applying for a business license with the Town Treasurer. Once the Zoning Application is approved application may be made for a Town of Farmville Business License. When applying for a business license you will need to estimate your gross receipts. You will estimate gross receipts from the opening day of business until December 31st of the same year. Since this is an estimate, the business license tax amount will be adjusted when renewing the license for the second year. Please contact the Treasurer's Office for more information regarding the estimating or adjusting of a business license application.

Businesses Selling Prepared Food

The Town of Farmville has levied a tax rate of seven percent on the amount paid for meals purchased from any food establishment whether consumed on-premises or not. Every person receiving any payment for food with respect to which a tax is levied must collect and remit the amount of the tax imposed by Town of Farmville Code Article 5, Section 25. The Food Tax Form (PDF) must be submitted to the Treasurer's Office by the twentieth of each month and a remittance form must be filed with the Treasurer's Office yearly. Any payment made after the twentieth will incur a penalty of 10% of the tax due.


Every contractor must complete a Worker's Compensation Form (Form 61-A)  (PDF) whether they have worker's compensation insurance or not as required by the State of Virginia. As of July 1, 2010, any contractor applying for or renewing a business license shall provide proof of a current, valid State of Virginia contractor's license prior to the issuance or renewal of such license.

For more information on a business license, call the Town of Farmville Treasurer's Office at 434-392-3333.